My Twitter Feed

Tuesday, January 09, 2007

The Train: Story No. 3

The Third Story

It was a dark night, not one of those nights which had the moon and the stars. It was just plain dark. You would probably not be able to even see your hand in front of you in the darkness. “Power Cut!” I heard someone say in the darkness. Well here I was all alone in the dark night on platform No. 2 at the train station. A chilling breeze blew across from the railway tracks and made me shudder all over. I dropped my bag.

As I bent over to pick it up, the lights came on and I saw the train in the tracks in front of the platform. “Now how could that be? I didn’t even hear the train come by.” I picked up my bag and peered into the train. It was empty. I looked around and saw no one. Suddenly I had a feeling that I was in some cooky B-grade horror movie. I pinched myself hard and left a mark that lasted three days. Ow!!!!

“Ok, now is not a time to think of movies. Just find your coach and get in” and so with this thought I bravely stepped into the coach. I walked ahead, found my seat and sat down. The lights flickered. I turned off the ceiling fan and heard its slow whirrrrrrr.

I felt suffocated in the coach and so I opened the window to let in the breeze. The train began to fill up with people. I was happy, atleast I wouldn’t be the only person in this train. Soon enough, there were so many people, I felt the need to be alone.

The coach was packed… The train, still, wouldn’t move. Fifteen hot, sweaty minutes later (it felt like two hours), the train began chugging slowly out of the station. As the train began to pick up speed, a cool breeze wafted in. Everyone heaved a sigh of relief. I guess the relief was too much for someone who decided to pass wind very loudly.

*PPPPPRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRPPPPPPPPPPPPP*

Instinctively everyone reached for their noses. I wish that was all, but it was just the beginning of the end. I guess everyone who got wind of the action decided to contribute in their own way. What followed was devastating. There weren’t enough windows in the whole train. It was an hour before everyone decided to call it quits. Some too tired and some too disgusted to continue anymore. Us neutrals heaved a sigh of relief and then choked on the disgusting odours. Now I know what it means to survive a biological warfare battle.

The next fifteen minutes were spent in silence. Suddenly I had the extreme urge to relieve myself. I got up from my seat and swam through the sea of humanity to reach the end and possible salvation. When I reached the end of the coach, I felt a sinking feeling envelop me. There was a long queue to use the restrooms. I couldn’t hold it in for too long. This would take me at least thirty minutes to get to my turn. Will I be able to hold it in for that long?

10 Minutes later:
It seemed like an hour. I could not hold it in any longer. Suddenly the train seemed to be slowing down. The train stopped and was waiting for a signal to move on. Suddenly everyone standing in front of me got down from the train and went their respective ways through the paths in the fields. I was shocked. The path between me and salvation was as clear as a lake in the mountains. The relief was so immense that I felt a warm liquid running down my leg. So close and this is what I ended up doing!!!

With a sheepish grin, I looked up at the guy who had just walked in. He couldn’t control his laughter. I tried to clean myself and walked back to my seat. My fellow passengers took one look at me and lost control. It was as though the whole coach erupted in laughter. My embarrassment knew no bounds. Sheepishly I pulled out a grin and hoped that the earth would swallow me up.

In fifteen minutes, the train pulled up to my station. As I was about to get off, my fellow passengers thanked me for the best laugh they have had in years. What could I say!!! :)

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Hahaha!!!

Reminded of those kiddish childhood days :P but I wonder y we feel embarassed abt natural biological processes ??

wavev..

I had good time reading all 3:)